I was very kindly given this Mohawk gremlin earlier in the year by a fellow Clubhouse member Stu – it’s one of the remaining two I was missing from my collection, for which I am eternally indebted!
After him sitting around on the shelf half-painted for 6 months, I finally sat down this week and finsihed him off.
And now the Mogwais are (almost) complete…
After a lick of paint, here’s the finished arrow.
Using a small milling cutter in the Dremel, I removed the old cast-on arrow and added a bit of fur texture back in the area now exposed. I also cut a deeper channel for the arrow shaft to rest in so that it sat better in the fur.
The paint was then touched back up again. Before this, an additional area was removed from the head to allow the bottle to rest in the fur too.
Finally the arrow was glued in place and then the missing belt section was replaced with epoxy putty. Also the fur around the top of the bottle was blended back in with another bit of putty. Here’s the finished results:
Having already painted most of Gizmo, when I came to do his makeshift flaming arrow I decided that what’s sculpted on the figure is just a bit too basic. There’s no detail to the correction fluid bottle or pencil and there are some distracting blocked in areas around these to remove the need for deep undercuts in the mold.
So after 20 mins messing about with some styrene and acrylic rod on the lathe, I’ve come up with this replacement.
Ideally I would have liked some hexagonal rod for the pencil, but round will have to do.
Finished painting Lenny this weekend and have made a start blocking in colour on Gizmo – they are both very similar. I was originally going to airbrish the colours on to get a nice soft blend between them but masking became really fiddly so in the end I decided to just hand paint them and then feather the edges with pastels.
Lenny’s eyes were particularly fiddly because the iris and pupil were sculpted in but very roughly – it was hard to paint on neat circles over the top. I should’ve just puttied the lines over. Gizmo’s don’t look quite so bad….
Spent a pleasant afternoon watching Gremlins 2 again… purely for reference… 🙂
These little 3″ resin figures were released by Kaiyodo in the early 90’s a short time after the second film. I’ve been slowly collecting them, trying to get the complete set but they are very hard to come by now so I’ve decided to make a start on what I have (I actually had a Daffy and Mogwai George that I painted years ago which can be seen in the gallery).
So this is what I’ve got:
Back row L-R: Mohawk, Daffy, George, Lenny
Front row: “Generic”, Mogwai Lenny, Gizmo
Each figure came in a different colour resin – these have all been cleaned up and primed with the exception of generic gremlin (forgot him in the bottom of the box!). Casting is ok, if a little rough in places – some seams to remove and textures to resculpt around the edges but nothing major. I’m still toying with removing the bases since they are a bit ugly.
I’m still looking for the 2 I’m missing:
Mogwai Mohawk Now aquired thanks to Stu!
If you have either for sale (originals only, no recasts!) let me know!